Our school has been specifically resourced to offer a specialist service to children who are statemented for a hearing impairment. All classrooms (and the hall) are fitted with soundfield systems and all staff have annual training on deaf awareness and technological advancements.
The SERF (Special Education Resource Facility) classroom is acoustically modified to provide an excellent listening environment. All modes of communication are welcome. We aim to raise the profile of hearing impairment throughout school by teaching the children how to sign during our weekly sign and sing assemblies (all songs and prayers are signed in every assembly by all children), by having regular contact with other local schools and visits from other local hearing impaired children. We also have visits from the NDCS Listening Bus.
The SERF offers hearing impaired children specialist individual support in all areas of the curriculum and school life as required including:
- Daily equipment checks.
- Education support in the unit and in class.
- Additional 1:1 sessions before and after lessons.
- Work on PLP targets.
- Speech, language and communication development (including regular visits from an NHS therapist).
- Social and emotional support.
- Half termly access to an Audiologist.